Where to go on summer holiday
Summer is one of the most popular times of year to go on holiday - and no wonder! With kids off school for six weeks, it’s a great time for families to spend quality time together. Plus, warm sunny weather makes for lots of relaxing sunbathing opportunities.
This year more than ever, the urge to get abroad and see the world is a powerful one for many people. After two years stuck in lockdown after lockdown, often with no holidays at all, it’s time to get out and about. For many, this is also the first opportunity they’ve had for a long time to visit friends and family living abroad.
If you’re searching for inspiration for your next holiday, read on to see some classic holiday plans and destinations.
Summer holiday ideas
When it comes to summer holidays, there’s so much variety it can be hard to choose. There’s something for everyone, whether you want to relax, have an adventure, explore somewhere new, or visit somewhere you’ve always wanted to go.
Here are some popular options:
- Beach holidays - in other words, the classic relaxing trip to somewhere with all the S’s - sun, sea and sand.
- Activity holidays - because what could take your mind off work better than a skydive? Okay, it doesn’t have to be a skydive, but adventure holidays like scuba diving, climbing a mountain, trekking through a rainforest or skiing are great ways to get your pulse pumping this summer.
- Sightseeing holidays - ever wondered what’s so special about the Parthenon? Well, it’s time to go and find out. There are so many wonders of the world just waiting for you to visit - from ancient ruins, to marvels of artistic engineering, to stunning natural landscapes.
- City breaks - what better way is there to get a taste for life in another country than to try a city break? With so many destinations to choose from, you’re sure to find an amazing city to visit, whether you want a romantic weekend getaway or a culture-rich tour and explore.
Summer holiday destinations
So you know which type of holiday you want to book - now it’s time to pick a location.
If it’s a beach holiday you’re after, the Canary Islands offer a wealth of paradise destinations such as Lanzarote, Tenerife and Fuerteventura. Or why not take a trip to the Algarve and visit Faro, Portugal? For slightly more exotic climes, those who want to combine sun, sand and sea with a dose of Mediterranean culture cannot go wrong with a Greek or Turkish destination.
Indeed, if you’re looking to fully immerse yourself in culture, you might like to visit Heraklion, a city in Crete, Greece, famed for its archaeological wonders. The city of Tirana, too, has a colourful past, with a museum covering everything from the prehistoric era all the way through to the 1990s.
For the hikers and climbers, try tackling the Velebit mountain range just outside Zadar, Croatia. Or if you’re after something on the chilly side, Lapland has summer safaris on offer - and you might even catch the Northern Lights!
There are dozens of popular destinations for city breaks, too - from the traditional, well-beaten tracks of Paris, Madrid and Rome to hidden jewels such as Chisinau, Kaunas and Szczecin.
Where can I fly to from LJLA?
At Liverpool John Lennon Airport, we offer destinations all across Europe. Book your flight, park up and jet off to one of our many locations. Here’s the full list of places you can visit:
- Albania: Tirana
- Austria: Salzburg, Vienna
- Belgium: Brussels
- Bulgaria: Sofia, Varna
- Canary Islands: Fuerteventura, Lanzarote, Tenerife
- Channel Islands: Jersey
- Croatia: Zadar
- Cyprus: Larnaca
- Denmark: Copenhagen
- Estonia: Tallinn
- Finland: Lapland
- France: Bergerac, Grenoble, Nice, Paris
- Germany: Frankfurt
- Greece: Heraklion
- Hungary: Budapest
- Ireland: Cork, Dublin, Knock
- Isle of Man
- Italy: Milan Bergamo, Rome
- Lithuania: Kaunas, Vilnius
- Moldova: Chisinau
- Netherlands: Amsterdam
- Northern Island: Belfast, Derry
- Norway: Bergen
- Poland: Gdansk, Katowice, Krakow, Poznan, Szczecin, Warsaw, Wroclaw
- Portugal: Faro, Porto
- Romania: Bacau, Bucharest, Cluj-Napoca, Iași, Sibiu
- Slovakia: Kosice
- Spain: Alicante, Barcelona, Madrid, Majorca, Malaga, Reus
- Sweden: Stockholm
- Switzerland: Geneva
- Turkey: Antalya, Bodrum, Dalaman, Izmir