Our statement regarding the impact of the coronavirus outbreak.
After a week of aviation chaos due to the Icelandic ash cloud and much nail biting all round, today the Peel Team managed to board their KLM flight from Liverpool John Lennon Airport to Shanghai via Amsterdam to attend the 2010 World Expo due to start on 1st May.
Peel are Lead Sponsors of the Liverpool Pavilion, which is the only UK city to be participating at the “largest ever gathering of human civilization” taking place in Shanghai over 6 months until the 31st October.
Peel Director, Lindsey Ashworth commented “We are delighted to be participating at the 2010 World Expo in Shanghai. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity to introduce our company and to explain what our exciting urban regeneration projects in the North West involve. Our sponsorship and attendance at the Expo is to support the Liverpool City Region, to seek out business partners to work with us on our projects and share the growth and prosperity of this dynamic region”.
A team including members of Peel Development & Construction, Peel Ports and Peel Energy will be attending the Expo in May which is themed as Gateway to the North West.
A press event specifically targeted to the Chinese media will be held on 6th May followed by several meetings to relay what the North West and indeed the Liverpool region has to offer as an international business destination including Peel’s two exciting urban regeneration projects Liverpool and Wirral Waters which are the largest waterfront redevelopment projects undertaken by the private sector this century in the UK.
In keeping with May’s theme, Liverpool John Lennon Airport is central to the region and its’ growth in recent years has seen it become a true gateway airport for the North West, bringing passengers travelling on business and leisure all the benefits associated with regional airport operations, helping to attract inward investment and playing an increasing role in the region’s tourism and business industry.
Further themes include Science & Innovation, Sport, Health & Culture, Knowledge and Urban Regeneration. The Peel team are in fact already preparing many exciting events and meetings for their return trip later on in the year, the highlight of which will be Liverpool Day on the 16th October. And who knows, maybe Peel will have an exciting announcement of their own to make!
- The 2010 World Expo Liverpool is the only city in the UK to have a dedicated pavilion at the World Expo in Shanghai.
- The Expo takes place every four years and is an opportunity for participants to showcase investment opportunities and cultural distinctiveness to an international audience.
- Organisers of the Shanghai 2010 Expo estimate that 70 million people will visit the Expo during its six month run from May 1st to October 31st 2010.
- Liverpool’s presence at Expo 2010 is being led by Liverpool Vision in partnership with the Northwest Regional Development Agency (NWDA), Liverpool City Council and the Liverpool Shanghai Partnership.
- Its lead sponsor is Peel Holdings, which has interests in ports, airports, renewable energy, media and property development across the North West. The NWDA has committed £1.25m to support Liverpool’s presence, whilst Liverpool City Council has committed £300,000.
- The Liverpool Pavilion will be housed within the Urban Best Practice Area of the 5.3 sq km Expo site which overlooks the Huangpu River.
Loganair, Scotland’s Airline, has announced plans to take up the Liverpool to Isle of Man route formerly flown by Flybe. The service will operate between Liverpool and the Isle of Man up to 19 times per week initially, with plans to increase this to three times daily from the end of March.
Explosives detection dogs from police forces across the country have been taking part in a major training exercise at Liverpool John Lennon Airport this week.